Thursday 24 October 2013

Global Issues Novel Study (GINS) #1

Hello!

          So, we are once again starting something new in Hummanities. As we know, though at times our world may look perfect, there are quite a few things that occur in places all over the globe. Things that most of us can't even imagine. So our whole grade has gone and chosen a novel that relates to one of these issues (poverty, child soldiers, etc...). The books that we chose are thing that we are passionate about and want to learn how we can take action. Some are fiction, but most (like mine) are non fiction.
          My book, titled My Forbidden Face, is about a young girl named Latifa, who was a young lady in Afghanistan when the Taliban first took over. As you may or may not know, the Taliban have done horrible, horrible things to all the places they have managed to siege control over. Women become completely imprisoned and don't receive the simplest rights and freedoms such as speech and healthcare. Women who, since born in the twentieth/twenty-first century, grew up having freedom now must learn to live in fear. Murder in the name of "justice" is everywhere you look, if you are brave enough to leave your home, which is basically a new prison.
           I chose this book/topic for my novel study because it was a topic that, though I heard a lot about, I never really had any kind of understanding of. After reading just 20% of the novel, I have already learned so much that I didn't know. I cannot imagine what kind of life people who live in those situations must be living, but I can always count on books to pull me into their world. It is truly unbelievable and after gaining even the minimal amount of knowledge that I have, I really want to find a way that I can help.
           I have very minimal knowledge of this topic. All I know is that the Taliban are a group that twist their religion and force others to follow the practices that they have based off of their holy book. I also know that the knowledge gained by most all holy books (including the Koran) is basically the same. They all teach of how to live your life and what your ultimate goal should be.
          As I read through the first 20% of the book I came up with a lot of questions. There were of course things like definitions and such, but also things like what else happened at the time. One of the biggest questions I had was, if the Taliban are a group that are religious (as it said in the glossary) then where do they get the idea to do what they do? Another major question I had was that what did women do that caused them to be under such strict rules? Some other ones include, how would it be like to live in a place where most of what you know is fear? What would I do if I was put in that exact same situation? What would I do if I had been born and brought up in the same place at the same time?
           So far in the novel they have introduced (of course) Latifa who is the protagonist of this story. Her family has been introduced and we know that all members of her family have lived in fear for much of their life, even though the Taliban are not introduced until they are all quite old. The Taliban have begun to be introduced and they have briefly talked about Osama Bin Laden as well (this is the very beginning of when he started becoming "known").
          So that is it for now, I will be reading more of the novel and sharing my thoughts along the way. I hope that through this novel I can learn enough about the situation in those countries to take action and I encourage you to do so as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment