Thursday 7 February 2013

Divergent Book Review (Peer Review)

Divergent

Book By: Veronica Roth
Book Review By: Maitri P.

            “One choice can transform you.” This line, which can be found at the back of the book, is what drew me into reading this book. That, and Aidan’s amazing review! Aidan stated that “Divergent is an amazing example of character development”, and I couldn’t agree more. He also stated that “the message of the novel was good conquering evil”, but I feel that it was more about finding yourself and the journey you take in order to show who you are. As I was reading I came across a quote that read, “I feel like someone breathed new air into my lungs. I am not Abnegation. I am not Dauntless. I am Divergent.” I think that is the first time she states that she is Divergent without being scared, and to me it shows that she has finally accepted herself as who she is. Aidan said that the theme of this book was very similar to the theme of The Hunger Games. I think the theme of The Hunger Games was about the differences between the individuals, and the state while Divergent has a theme of the constant struggle that every human being goes through, thinking what you are expected to think, or following your heart. Overall, as I stated in the beginning, Aidan’s book review is what pulled me in to actually read this novel, and I am certainly glad that I did.
            Divergent led me to think about my society, and how I would feel if I was born into a society like the one displayed in the book. I started to wonder what faction I would fit into and if I would truly be able to leave my family and let my faction be what defines me. I felt that the society in the book was really restraining and I couldn’t help but wonder how individuals would be able to live in the separate factions, and how there weren’t many people with divergence. That was my favorite part of the book, because it caused me to think deeply about my surroundings and helped me make connections with the world around me. Veronica Roth created the character of Beatrice very dynamic, which I feel, helps to make all individuals connect with her. Many times in the book she would become a very strong-headed individual and yet, in another part of the book she is still a teenage girl trying to find where she belongs. I thought that factor is what helped individuals connect with all of her characters. The plot of the novel was obviously well thought out but had many unexpected twists and turns. When I got really into the book and would predict something, I would usually find something that I never predicted would happen. To find out what I am talking about, you have to read this amazing book and of course, the sequel is available now (Insurgent). Divergent is a book for anyone who is willing to take the time out for it, because it can take you a while to read, but I can assure you it is a book worth your time!

6 comments:

  1. Maitri,
    I think that your book review was amazing! I thoroughly loved the book and I completely agree with everything that you had to say! You said that the theme of the book was sorta like the hunger games theme but more about the struggle between people not people and the state. I think that that was really well put because they are very similar but you explained the difference.
    I also really loved your background to your blog!
    I was wondering if you read insurgent. Also guess what! There is a third book coming out in October!
    Overall I really loved your book review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinn,
      Yes actually, I just finished reading Insurgent and I can't wait for the third book to come out!

      Delete
  2. I really love your review and it reminded me how much I loved the book...when you said the part about what faction would you fit into there is a faction test in the back of the book... I agree with how many plot twists there where. but I would have never thought to compare this book with the hunger games because I thought that they were so different from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maitri,
    You were obviously thinking very deeply and critically while writing this review! I love the quotes you chose and how they tied in to the things you were talking about-- Basically I thought you chose very good examples! I agree with what you said in your review. :)

    I have a few questions. First of all, what are some of those real-world connections you said you thought about while reading the book? What would you rate this book? And finally, as Amanda said, have you read Insurgent?

    I also really enjoyed looking at your litspiration challenge from last term about Life as We Knew It. I read it not too long ago and agreed with all your choices and the description and examples you gave. I also really like the unique background of your blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danika,
      To answer some of your questions, the real-world connections I made were mainly to myself but while reading the book, I noticed that like every society, there are always flaws not matter how perfect they try to make it. I thought about how people who are "different" are treated when Tris talks about her divergence. Every time I finish a book I rate it five out of five, which is why I have no favorites. I have read Insurgent very recently and I found that it definitely lived up to my expectations. Have you read Insurgent? What do you think about it?

      Delete
  4. I can't wait for the third book to come out!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete